Monday, October 5, 2009

Cheapest Acer Aspire One AOD150-1920 10.1-Inch Ruby Red Netbook - 6.5 Hour Battery Life


It's amazing and I love it. The battery life is four times any laptop I've ever owned. Just to cycle the battery a couple times I had to run my virus scanner for 5 hours, after changing the power settings to "always on." That's five hours of the hard drive spinning almost constantly.

I recommend you spend an extra $25 for a 2GB memory stick. I've regretted not max-ing out memory on laptops in the past. But I've never regretted spending a few extra bucks to max them out up-front.

Obviously, this is the perfect airplane companion. Even if it's your second laptop, for the airplane only, it's well worth the $350 if you travel a lot. You don't even have to worry if the person in front of you puts the seat back--it still fits. And you certainly don't have to worry about the battery life.

The keyboard is NOT a problem. I'm 6 feet tall with large hands. After reading these reviews I thought it would be an issue. I just plunked down my hands and started typing, and it was fine! That leaves only the tiny screen size as the only thing less-than-ideal, but you know what you are getting -- it's a netbook, not a laptop.

Performance is snappy -- It seems to be better than my 2.4Ghz Celeron laptop. The thing preventing lots of multi-tasking is the screen, not the CPU. If you are at home, you might consider an external monitor.

Here's a tip for would-be buyers. If you don't want to spend money for a USB CD drive, just download "Alcohol 52 Free Edition". It allows you to rip installation CDs and DVDs to image files, and to mount those files into a "virtual" drive. Just transfer the image files onto this baby using a thumb drive or over the network. Of course, some installations are not particular about running from a CD, and you can just install by copying all the files to a thumb drive. I use my thumb drives for other things, though, and it's more convenient to move 2 files across to get the whole CD, and then be able to easily clean it up after.

The first thing you'll want to do when you get this machine is uninstall all the trial software. That's pretty quick -- maybe 20 minutes. The second thing is adjust the touchpad sensitivity and speed in the control panel under "mouse".

If I can figure out how to get it to boot up with the WiFi disabled, I'll be 100% happy about it (instead of 99.9). I checked the BIOS, and didn't see anything there. Of course, flicking the button once is not much of a big deal.
Get more detail about Acer Aspire One AOD150-1920 10.1-Inch Ruby Red Netbook - 6.5 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo