Thursday, October 8, 2009

Order Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life


Update: 26-Aug-2009 - I have this for about 2 months now. Overall a good netbook, but the speaker problem is ridiculous. Initially, I was only using it on the road/traveling, so always used a headset. The last few weeks I've been using it more indoors, and the necessity to always use a headset is very annoying. I installed the latest audio drivers, which offered no improvement in performance. If I could change my rating, I would drop it to 3 stars based on the speaker issue alone. Really inexcusable. If you will always be using a headset, this remains a 4 star netbook.

I purchased my NB205 based on Johnny Chan's and the Laptop Mag review. I am doing a three month project in Europe, and wanted a lightweight computer to take with me. Got it a few days before I left and have been using it for the last couple weeks.

I wanted a computer for:
1. Running MS Office, including being able to run some complex MS Access databases.
2. Being able to browse the web.
3. Being able to watch movies when traveling (at least 6 hours of battery time).
4. Something small that I could carry with me without getting aggravated.
5. Being able to use MS Remote Desktop Connection to remote into client sites.

First the negative:

1. The speaker (as noted by others) is insufficient. In addition, the headphone jack is also underpowered. On a plane, with all settings turned up to max, I was still unable to achieve my desired volume level.
2. When plugged in, I run at max power settings. I find the fan to be annoying as it turns on and off - it is also quite loud for a laptop fan.
3. The screen had a pretty narrow optimal viewing angle. I find myself adjusting the tilt quite a bit to try to get it looking 'right'.
4. Would have like an option to set a larger virtual desktop and then scroll off the edges of the screen. I was actually very surprised this isn't an option. Software included with my new camera won't run because the screen resolution can't be set high enough.

The positive:

1. Watched 2 iTunes movies on the flight over and still had battery remaining. FYI - I tried renting an HD movie from iTunes, but the playback was very choppy. SD movies work pretty well. Don't forget to decrease the hard drive vibration sensitivity when traveling on a plane - light turbulence will trigger it.
2. All MS Access databases I've tried so far work without any problems.
3. Attractive and well-built. Very lightweight.
4. Fits very well in Case Logic LNEO-10 Ultraportable Neoprene Notebook Sleeve (just wish it had a shoulder strap).
5. Used it with Cisco VPN software to remote into Window's servers without a problem.

Also using a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 with no problems, and upgraded to 2 GB of memory with minimal effort (had to use a little force to pop the memory cover off, but didn't cause any damage).

Traveling by train this weekend - 10 hours each way, with a three day camping trip between. The Toshiba is going with me - if I notice anything during the trip, I'll update this review when I return.

Note: would have given it 4.5 stars, but that is not an available rating.

Update: Took my train trip last weekend. Mostly used the laptop to watch some iTunes movies. The battery seemed to run down a little faster. I got about 6.5 hours, but I probably could have tweaked the settings a little early on - kept the screen pretty bright for the initial movie. Just a reminder that if you want to get the 9+ hours of battery, you'll have to tweak settings. More problematic was the playback wasn't 100% smooth. A reboot helped, but since I'm not running many programs in general, I don't think I should be rebooting to watch a movie. I knock off the half star, and think 4 stars is a fair rating.Get more detail about Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo