Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Shop For Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life


I'm on my 2nd unit, the first one had a bad power switch. I thought maybe I was missing something but when I went to Best Buy and played with their demo unit I realized my unit's power switch couldn't be depressed so I sent it back and now I'm playing with the replacement unit.

First, you MUST turn the wireless function ON if you want to use it. It arrives with it turned off. This wasn't obvious to me and the quick start guide does not mention it at all. And, of course, there is no printed user's manual, so you have to find the pdf and search it for wireless. You have to press Fn+F8 to change the wireless mode (on/off and I think something else). Not sure why they do this but hopefully this will save someone else some time. Also it doesn't support WPA2 only WPA so I had to change my settings on my router. Otherwise it was simple to set up.

The screen is very glossy. IMO this is a bad trend that Apple started and now they are getting some bad feedback about this also. So be forewarned. The touchpad is ok but I would get a small mouse to use. The keyboard is kind of similar to my Apple Macbook Pro, not exactly great but functional.

Overall, so far it seems fine for my use. Obviously something larger is better for lots of work but we are buying a netbook for its small size and weight (otherwise I'd be carrying my MacBook Pro) and be able to do basic things when on the go.

It comes with some extra programs, like Norton, which I have to go around and uninstall. I have to admit that while I've been using PCs for a long time and only bought/used my first Apple in 2007 I forgot how annoying PCs can be (at home I have the MacBook Pro and a desktop that is dual bootable with Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP that I seldom use). I'll have to browse the net and download the various free virus/firewall programs.

My main reason for getting a netbook was to be able to travel and still do classwork for graduate classes I'm taking and this unit should be able to do that (i.e., connect to the internet, email, and basic Word/Excel/Powerpoint functions).
Get more detail about Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo