Sunday, October 4, 2009

Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life Review


I didn't see anyone else complaining about wireless network setup so hopefully my unit was the exception. When I tried to set up my network with a new d-link wireless router the NB205 could not detect my network or any of my friends networks. The symptom was as if there was a wireless network on/off switch like many laptops have but not the NB205. After beating my head against the wall trying to use either Windows network Wizard or the on board modem client and every other network configuration trick I could think of I gave up and called in my neighbor Vince a professional network consultant. After another hour of futility Vince finally found the problem. For some hair brained reason Toshiba has installed it's own network utility that supersedes any other network utilities called Connectivity Doctor. There was zero documentation with the NB205 on this (feature?). After playing with it for a while we found (surprise, surprise) a software wireless on/off switch. After more fiddling we got our secure network connection.
I am tempted to to give the laptop a 3 star rating but since it is so nice now that it is working I'll give it 4

I have already had one comment requesting help with this so I am pasting my reply below for anyone else who may need it.

Pressing the FN and F8 key together should toggle the switch. you may have to do it twice. If it works the orange wireless indicator on the front right edge of the keyboard should light up. This is vaguely documented on page 164 of the on board Toshiba Users Guide. ALL PROGRAMS -> TOSHIBA -> DOCUMENTATION. Good luck. I will monitor this to see how it goes.
JT
This actually brings up a little GUI box that you then use the FN and F8 keys to toggle it.Get more detail about Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo