Saturday, August 29, 2009

Where To Buy ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-PU1X-BU 10.1-Inch Blue Netbook - 10.5 Hour Battery Life



Arguably the best 10" at the time for the price. I got this one: 1005HA-PU1X-BU (BU=Blue)

It had all the cool features, Wireless N, bluetooth, N280 processor (the fastest one then available), long battery life, easy memory upgrade at a great price.

Wish it had more pixels on the screen, hoping for a 10" 1280x768 some day.

Processor is slow compared to a core 2 duo. Amazingly it runs VmWare and VM's (32-bit ones only), but at about 1/3 the speed of my main laptop (2 GHZ Core 2 Duo). Fine for browsing, but you can tell it is slower.

External Monitors are limited to 1280x1024 maximum. Dual monitor mode works too (you would never figure this out from ASUS' website).

I don't get 10 hours of battery, I work it hard and get 5-7 hrs. High CPU loads with a Targus netbook cooler yields 5 hrs. I never turn off Wi-Fi or the HD either. CPU loads don't seem to affect batt life much which is a good thing. I read somewhere the chipset takes 4x the power the CPU does so that makes sense.

The major con for me is that the hard disk is extremely difficult to upgrade. It is worse than a puzzle box and voids the warranty. You have to futz with tiny ribbon cables, pry apart snapped together plastic, and remove the CPU heatsink to do it. Not recommened at all.

Some Asus models are an easy HD upgrade so this one may surprise people like it did me. I intended to buy one with an easy HD upgrade.

FYI, after all that the seagate momentus 500Gb (5400 SATA) drive works fine, although I was pretty worried the first time I turned it back on.

Get more detail about ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-PU1X-BU 10.1-Inch Blue Netbook - 10.5 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo