Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Low Price Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life


Update August 16, 2009

I still really like this netbook and it is an almost perfect replacement to a super high-end laptop that it replaced. Now that I've been using it for nearly a month, here are some additional insights and observations:

- I like the brown color much more than I thought I would. It's really an elegant, stylish netbook.

- The laptop does get really hot. So hot, in fact, that after a few minutes, you have to place it on a pillow on your lap - it is way too hot to let set on your bare legs.

- For some strange reason, a very slight electric shock emanates from the bottom of my netbook to my bare legs. I thought it was coming through the screws but can't prove that. This continues to happen, but placing netbook on a pillow first solves this problem. This is very strange. I've never been shocked by a laptop before. It's not a huge shock, but enough to make you jump up and ask "what the..."

- this is undoubtably the best laptop keyboard I have ever used. The keys are layed out in an entirely logical, predictable way. This keyboard is fantastic.

- yes, the trackpad does have a mind of its own sometimes - but I have minimized this problem by going into the settings.

- battery life is great. I've never really used the battery up fully, but 6 hours using wireless internet continuously and it still had a fair amount of juice left. I did have the brightness set down to minimum. It could very well have 8-9 hours.

- I really wish I could have more than 2 GB RAM. I have noticed a small but annoying system slowdown with many programs open, with 2 GB RAM. On the laptop this replaced, I had 3 GB RAM and a faster front side bus and the system never slowed down. Just something to improve for the next model.

It's still a great netbook but I still give it only 4 stars.
-----------------------
This is a very good laptop. It feels solid and that it is well built, which is important. I have held and touched the Asus netbooks in stores and they are cute but don't feel as solidly built as this Toshiba.

I opted for a color model which has a better keyboard and I think, is worth it because the keyboard is lighter (easier to see the letters you're typing) and easier to press (more Mac style). I recommend additional RAM as well as turning off all system animations (e.g. screen redraw, windows open/close, hid taskbar, etc.) I haven't tested the battery life to its fullest but it does seem to drain quite slowly, which is good. And thank god Toshiba is using XP and not Vista!

I gave this item 4 stars for the following shortcomings:

Max 2 GB RAM. I used to get 3 GB RAM as a minimum on all new systems. Since 2 GB is the max, I did buy the extra module but if you are a power user, you still might find 2 GB RAM too slow for you.

160 GB hard drive is decent, but why not 250 GB? Data storage is so cheap

System does get very hot on the bottom. This could be partly due to the extra RAM, but it is too hot to rest right on my lap. This is a continuous problem - not just a one-time thing.

I agree with another owner that the left/right mouse buttons need to be moved up just a tad so they don't rest on the edge. When you are laying down using the netbook, things can get pressed accidentally (but this doesn't happen very much so it's not a big detractor)

Other than those particular items, I am very pleased with it and I would recommend it to friends. I will be using this as a replacement for a Vista laptop that has crashed beyond boot up two months in a row (I decided not to chance a third time and simply retired that laptop until the Vista replacement comes out).
Get more detail about Toshiba Mini NB205-N210 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9 Hour Battery Life.

adsense
 
 
Copyright © blog
Blogger Theme by Blogger Designed and Optimized by Tipseo